Friday, February 29, 2008

50% Reduction!!!

I received a voice mail from my mom at 12:20 pm today. I was in class, and missed the call. She said that she got the results from her CT scan from Tuesday and that her cancer was "Over 50% reduced...isn't that good news!" It was 2pm when I got the call, and I immediately called her back. As I was passing the "Bucee's" Chevron in Giddings [Shameless plug as this place has the best bathroom and beef jerky display I have ever seen!..It should be a tourist attraction in and of itself], I finally got ahold of her. Here is a transcript of our conversation:

Mom: "Hello? Erin, is that you?"
Erin: "Hey mom. Whatcha doin?"
Mom: "Just doin' my dishes over at Aunt Helen's. Did I tell you what she did today?"
Erin: "No, I haven't talked to you, what happened today?"
Mom: "Well, she was wondering around the yard determined to clean it up. She had a 54 pound washer in the wheel barrel and was moving it to the junk pile. You know she is over 85 years old! But, she was moving that stuff like she was 30. "
Erin: "You know Aunt Hell, she can move mountains by sure determination. You aren't that different you know."
Mom: "I know. I use to be strong like her. But when I tried to help her pick up that wheel barrel today, I couldn't even lift the handle. She is strong, and I can't hang with her."
Erin: "Oh sure you can. I remember a time when you re-cemented the front porch in one night. You can do some amazing things. For instance, haven't you shrunk a cancer you weren't even suppose to live through? I believe that beats Aunt Helen's strength by a long shot"
Mom: "Wow! you are right. I am beating biological cancer, with a 50% reduction, and Aunt Helen is making my life better by getting rid of at least 50% of the environmental cancers surrounding my house."
Erin: "How do you tell a 80+ year old women to slow down, when she doesn't want to?"
Mom: "The same way you tell a 50+ year old woman ... you don't. You let them fight in the way they know, live in the way that they can, and love as and how they want."
Erin: "Sounds like life to me."
Mom: "Damn right and good night."

No comments: