Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wow! They love me..they really love me...

Earlier today, I posted a request from my mother that for her 54th Birthday, she receive as many birthday cards as possible. When she received her diagnosis in August of 2007, the doctors told her that she would be lucky to live until November. If you aren't familiar with the email and internet request I sent earlier today, please reveiw my blog from this morning. I did not want to devote this blog to my mother's story so much, as I wanted to document the TREMENDOUS amount of support that my family and the idea received today. I sent the email out to all juvenile probation departments, all staff at the Commssion, and all members of a couple interagency workgroups I serve on. I was amazed by the waterfall of support and kind words I received from my request (which I must state again, was not my intent). I cried harder when I was writing the email for support than I expected. Sitting there in my little cubicle at work, with a waterfall flowing down my face, all I could do is hope that no one decided to "drop in for a visit" until I was done. Then, throughout the day to see this kind of support that was coming in, well..lets just say a smile is back on my face and I now know that what I requested was a positive thing and my mom will have one of the best birthdays of her life.

Here are some of the comments:

"My daughter works at an elementary school and the teachers are having the students send out cards! Your mom should get a kick out of those cards!
It is a really cool school in Los Colinas and the principal is a good friend of
mine and my husband. That should bring a smile to her face!"


"Good Morning Erin;
I just got your e-mail sent to us by Ms. Pizana, Deputy Director, rest a sure she will get her wish…please put me down on your website link I would love to hear all those wonderful stories. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family."

"Your mom looks beautiful You must have a wonderful Mom…because you are clearly a terrific daughter. You make me wish I’d had a daughter in addition to those three sons."


"I understand your mother's wishes more than you may know. When things like this happen in your life it is the smallest things that mean the most. I can tell you that the kindness and thoughtfulness of strangers since Bethany was born has meant more to me than money, diamonds, or any material thing."

"I will ask everyone that I know to send her a birthday card. Thank you so much for asking."


"Erin, what a sweet idea! I will forward your request! I did get a kick out of the typo “a million CARS” instead of “a million CARDS” Wouldn’t it be funny if your mom got a million new cars!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!! I am so glad she is responding to her treatment! "

"Good Morning Erin,

I am so sorry to hear that your mother is going through this; however she will overcome all of this… She is in my prayers and she will get the million cards that she is wishing for. May God bless you and your mother and give you the strength that you need each day and Cameron County is here for you for whatever you need… You have always been such a wonderful person with lots of energy and positive thinking…. This is the time to think positive and your mother will overcome her illness…. God Bless you……Take Care….."


"Erin, your Mom is soooo blessed and great news regarding the clinical trial, it sounds like the treatment is taking effect. I’d love to see your blog to document your Mom’s progress. We’re definitely going to be sending birthday wishes to your mom and a lit’l something for her to enjoy. Take care and live, love & laugh…."

"I personally think this is a GREAT idea and will definitely be participating!! You know Mike will let me send this out to everyone so you can count on more from Fort Bend County!!
Erin, I will keep your mother and your family in my prayers - please keep us posted on her status."


"Good morning Erin,
We may not be able to send her birthday cars but sure will send birthday cards! Ha! Ha! Ha!
The e-mail has been sent to the staff in our office!"


"Erin,
I think what you’re doing is awesome. My mom wasn’t so fortunate; she passed away last June due to lung cancer. You and your mom are very fortunate that the new treatment is working for her. I’ll be sure to spread your mom’s request. Take care. "


"Dear Erin -

I am sorry to hear about your mother's illness but I am very encouraged with the prospects of her new treatment. I watched the TV broadcast and it is obvious that your mom has a wonderfully positive spirit which can itself work miracles. I think I know now where you get your determination and perseverance. The timing of your email is interesting. We found out last week that my mother has colon cancer. She is 92 years old and is in no pain or discomfort. We have elected not to pursue surgery or chemotherapy so we will keep her comfortable and very loved. You and your mother will be in my prayers."


"My name is xxx and I will be sending your mother a birthday card with wishes of happiness on this very special birthday.In January of 2003, my father, like your mother, was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer. It had spread to his back and liver. The doctors wouldn't give us a timeline, but through research, we learned that 6 months is usually the absolute best that we could hope for. The chemo made him sick, but took the pain away almost immediately and we were very thankful for that. My father loved his work as the Magistrate Judge in Yosemite National Park and we were all very thankful that he was able to continue his work up until the week before his death in August of that same year. I wish that this trial was going on while my father was fighting the cancer and that he could have participated in it, but we are very thankful that we had him for 8 months from the time of his diagnosis and that his life was full, until the final week.You mother and her family are in our prayers. All the best to you."

"Erin, I know you don't know me, but I just wanted you to know that I will be praying for your mom. A lady in our office was diagnosed with stage 3 Esophogeal cancer in Sept. 07, so I have really been studying & researching all I can get my hands on regarding this disease. I found a really eye opening book, that if you are willing to read, could really help you in understanding why we are seeing so many cases of cancer these days & why the cure rate is so low. The name of the book is: "Cancer, Step Outside the Box", author is Ty M. Bolinger. He lives in the Dallas area and lost both his parents to cancer, so he has made it his mission in life to educate people about this horrible disease. Like I said, it was a real eye opener! I have included the link if you are interested in taking a look. I hope I am not being too pushy. I'm just the type of person who likes to share good things when I find them.

http://altered-states.net/barry/mp31/cancerbook/about.htm

Have a blessed day & remember with God, all things are possible"


I called my mom to warn her about all the mail she would be getting. She said, "I always thought I looked a bit like Sally Fields, now I feel like her....they love me...they really love me....you love me."



1 comment:

Unknown said...

After Reading Erin's Blog..I found a youtube song that reminds me of her quest!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmdoOP7E24

Keep it up Erin!

Scott