Friday, February 22, 2008

I got a lot of reading to do

Thanks to everyone who has been sending birthday cards and for spreading the word regarding this attempt. Never short for words, my mom has been virtually speechless and surprised the last few days by the response her request has received.

Today, I was sitting in class when she called. Concerned that something significant had occurred regarding her illness, I excused my self from class and took the call.

Mom: "Hey Erin, are you in a meeting or something?"
Erin: "Hey Mom, no I am in class, what's up?"
Mom: "Well, I just wanted to let you know that I just left the post office and I had 20 birthday cards."
Erin: "Really? Wow! That is fantastic."
Mom: "Yeah, they are from all over the state. I got one from Georgetown, some from Amarrillo, one from Raymondville. What did you do? Did you put it on the internet?"
Erin: "I did what you asked. I sent an email to all my co-workers, friends, and people that I know and asked that they spread the word."
Mom: "I am debating whether or not to read them now or wait until my birthday."
Erin: "I would suggest you open them as they come, or you may get overwhelmed. I know my friends and peers, and I expect that you will get a lot more than the 20 you got today."
Mom: "Really? I guess I will get to celebrate my birthday all week?"
Erin: "All week, and all year, this is your time to realize that you have an impact on the world and that people are wishing you well."
Mom: " I love you Erin. I will let you go. I got a lot of reading to do."

I love you too Mom, and here's to many more cards and smiles for you.

No comments: