Monday, March 17, 2008

We've Shattered the Earth Enough

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Usually right about now I would be heading home after a long day of pub crawling on mountain bikes with my friends. We usually park around 15th street, and ride around down town hitting all the Irish pubs (and a few English ones as well), before cruisin' through the Capitol and finally parking for the day at the Dog and the Duck Pub which holds its annual St. Patrick's day fundraiser for the local Fire Department.

This is us going through the capital after a few pints in 2004.


And a few of us posing in front of the port-a-potties from an unknown origin in 2004 (obviously the adult beverages made this seem like a good idea at the time).


And last, but definitely not least, our group in front of Mother Eagan's Irish Pub (can you tell I am missing my ride?)


This has been a tradition for the last 7 years. Unfortunately, however, I haven't been feeling very well. For the last few weeks, I have been waking up with a serious migraine and a terrible cough. As is typical for Austin, TX, my Doctor kept telling me I had an allergy and prescribing me one antihistamine after another. Seriously, I think that in this city, you can walk into the doctor's office with a broken leg and they would tell you it was an allergy.

Making a long story (and future blog post) short, I finally found out today that I have something they call "Walking Pneumonia". I'm not really sure what the difference is between walking pneumonia and crawling pneumonia, but either way, I feel like crud and am going stir crazy sitting at home. Especially during one of my favorite holidays.
So, I called mom. The following is a transcript of our discussion:
Mom: "Hey Erin."
Erin: "Hey mom, whatcha doin?"
Mom: "Just got home. About to get something to eat. You didn't catch me eating like normal" laughs.
Erin: "Good. Got home from the Doctor's office a few minutes ago, and have been cooped up all day. I just thought I would give you a call."
Mom: "Glad you did. I got your care package today. Thank you. Everything okay?"
Erin: "Yeah. I guess I have been pushing myself a little too hard. They told me today that I have walking pneumonia."
Mom. "I figured something had to be up with you if you weren't out with your friends."
Erin: "I know. I am not up to anything too Earth shattering."
Mom: "Ha! I think we have shattered the earth enough. With all those cards I got, I think we gave the cosmos a run for its money."
Erin: "That's true. Did you get any more today?"
Mom: "Actually, I did. I got one today. I think I am up to over 2000 now!"
Erin: "Great! How are you feeling?"
Mom: "Well, the Doctor says that my blood isn't rebounding as quick as it should."
Erin: "Geeze..if it ain't one thing, it's another. Are you going to have to go back in?"
Mom: "No, I don't think so. But, I am suppose to have chemo again next week, and if it doesn't pick up, they will have to post pone it. I don't want anything to get in the way of fighting this cancer."
Erin: "Don't worry mom. We have a lot of Earth shattering left to do. That Cancer is not going to get in the way."
Mom: "Thanks Erin, I love you."
Erin: "Love you too. Now my turn to go to bed and get better."
Mom: "Easter is next Sunday. You will be better by then. I know it. Love and good night."

No comments: